Friday, October 29, 2010

"Backtracking" Continued

My birthday month celebration continued the following weekend
Jared worked the weekend of my actual birthday so we
celebrated the following weekend with my children
and grandchildren and Michael
My family planned a "surprise" day in the city
Jared drove up from Delaware in the morning and then me, Jared
and Michael drove into New York and this is who we met
along with their parents
and this is where we were going
a cruise around Manhattan complete with lunch and entertainment
it was fabulous!!!
This is me with my "boys"
and the whole family
Noel, Michael, Me, Ellie, Jared, Danielle and Marlie
"Me" on the boat - decorated!!!
The weather was one of the nicest of the summer
and the views were spectacular
Lady Liberty stood in all her glory
and the girls were loving the day!!!
They were being very cooperative with pictures
the Verrazano Narrows Bridge
Where I lived growing up in Brooklyn I actually saw the towers of the
bridge "go up" when it was being built
Some Verrazano Bridge facts....
The bridge opened in 1964 and took only five years to be built
At that time the toll was 50 cents in each direction
(a toll increase was just approved last week -
as of 12/30 it will cost $13.00 to cross the bridge both ways)
When it opened it was the longest suspension bridge in the world
(we took that title away from the Golden Gate Bridge)
In 1981 The Hummer Bridge in the UK took that title from us
It still remains the longest suspension bridge in the US
When the planning of the bridge was being done,
Staten Island was thrilled - Brooklynites fought it desperately
Over 7,000 people had to be displaced from their homes
in Fort Hamilton (I never knew this)
Each of the towers has 1,000,000 bolts and 3,000,000 rivets
Because of the curvature of the earth's surface the towers are
1 5/8" farther apart at their tops than at their bases!
and the Brooklyn Bridge were just a few of the sights
there was LOTS of dancing
(and they played "Dancing Queen"!)

We all had a wonderful time - it was a fabulous surprise
After, we walked around outside Chelsea Piers and took a ride on...

We love carousels and this was a fun one!
Afterwards we walked all over Chelsea Piers
These cupcakes were in "Eleni's" - a great cupcake place
Eleni's (http://www.elenis.com/) is now a nut-free bakery
Then we walked over to Chelsea Market
We also walked underneath the "High Line"
This is 1.45 miles of NYC park built on a section of the former
elevated freight railroad spur called the West Side Line
Eventually it will go up to West 34th Street
We all came back to our house and everyone slept over
I taught the kids how to play "left, right, center" - a really fun game

The celebration continued on Sunday with a family barbeque
My brother, nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews and
Michael's family all came over
It was another great day
This picture is Noel, Michael and my brother Philip,
cousin Jonathan is in the background
at the table is Sari and Jeffrey (Sari was 8 1/2 months pregnant
in this picture and the baby, Addison, is 7 weeks old, today)
the person's back is my sister-in-law, Liz and then my
brother-in-law, Alan
this is my niece, Christine and my great-niece, Avery
and great-nephew, Luke
this is my nephew, Jeremy and his son Luke
my girls just playing
a delicious dairy queen blizzard cake and
"my" homemade chocolate chip cookies topped off the day!!
we all blew out the candles and ended a month-long celebration
that I will cherish forever
As I look back on my celebrations there is not one thing I would change
I am blessed with family and friends that showered me with
good times, laughs, parties, gifts, accolades and more than that -
they showed me love, respect, friendship and so much more.
I am a lucky "girl"!!!

Hugs and More,
Peggy

P.S.  My celebration really continues next year when we go on
our "family vacation" so stay tuned......


2 comments:

  1. Altho I kvelled through the whole birthday month... reliving it through the pictures is wonderful! You deserve every every accolade, good wishes and love heaped on you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lynn,
    thank you my friend
    and thank you for reading and commenting
    hugs and more
    peggy

    ReplyDelete