Thursday, December 9, 2010

New York, New York

I was in New York today and decided to stay for awhile
and take a nice long walk and
take some pictures of all the windows.
Who knew it would feel like 20 below!!!
I do not remember being this cold in a very long time!!
Also, I have never taken pictures in the morning and
I discovered that the lighting was awful,
the shadows were looming everywhere,
so forgive me for the quality
It was not just the photographer (me)
or the camera
 (I think there might be a new one when I open my Chanukah gifts!)
There is definitely something to be said for "timing"!!
But, in any case, I do hope you enjoy them.
Some of the pictures actually look awesome with
the reflection of the buildings
Here is my take on the windows...
Barney's windows are MUCH better than last year,
NOTHING could top Bergdorf from last year,
Saks was nice
Mackenzie Childs is always awe-inspiring
The rest is...you will see...
So here goes
(and I will not bore you with all 150 pictures)
Before I get to the windows, this statue was right
outside where my appointment was in the morning
East 34th Street between Third and Lex...
For those of you that have been to the Sculpture Gardens
in New Jersey you will be familiar with the name
Seward Johnson... (of Johnson & Johnson fame)
This statue is by him and I have walked past it
hundreds of times...
Today I photographed it and the plaque...
This guy really gets around!!

My first stop was Barney's and I must say they are
"back on track"
Last year was a huge disappointment...
The theme this year is "FOOD"!!!!!




Mario Batalli and his "crocs" really cracked me up...
One of the best parts of living near New York is being able to
experience the Bergdorf Goodman holiday windows in person. 
 Each year, the senior director of visual presentation, David Hoey,
 and his staff create windows full of pure fantasy and over the top glamour. 
The theme this season is traveling which includes a winged horse
and flying carriage, as well as a silver space ship, listing boat,
and scarlet train. 
You really have to stand in front of them and marvel at all the details.
I hope my pictures do them a little justice...
 
I could go on and on but I think you get the feel...
My most favorite store always is...
Mackenzie Childs
and they did not disappoint this year...
this is truly a work of art...
with a price tag to match...
are you sitting down?!?!
$9,500!!!!
What!  That is NOT a typo!!!
You have to see it to believe it...
and their tree is always incredible...
close ups of the tree...
the only thing that could improve this wreath
is "PINK" ribbons...
and what about these "muffin tins"
(now I am really happy that my February project
uses vintage muffin tins...)
and this wall is just adorable...
this is what they show coming out of the oven...

just a little more eye candy...
do you see what I see???
that is ribbon "for sale"
but at $60 a roll even I said "NO"!!!!
and maybe I can make this frame from my
broken pieces I have been saving...

or maybe just my "prima" stash...LOL!!!
After Mackenzie I walked over to...

they had some gorgeous paper sculptures adorning
their windows and jewelry...
this sculpture turned and this was on the other side...
Bendel's windows were lovely...
can somebody explain this one to me...
Tommy Hilfiger had an amazing bow...
Fendi was all decked out...
Cartier is always the same but never disappoints...
St Patrick's Cathedral in all its splendor
(without the scaffolding!)
Cole Haan windows were definitely some of my favorites...
there was also "joy" and "hope"
The "tree" really needs to be seen and photographed
at night...but it is a beauty...
this is the theme for Saks windows...
Annabelle was in every window...
these were moving bookcases...
and this speaks for itself...
the beauty and texture of this window
by "Benetton" have to be seen in person...
this is a view of the Empire State Building as I
was walking down Fifth Avenue...
Bryant Park Shops never disappoint, but I was so COLD
I could not wait to get on the bus home...
I hope you enjoyed this little "tour"
and again, I apologize for the clarity of some of the pictures.
But this does give you some feeling for
the splendor of New York at holiday time.
Have a great night

Hugs and More,
Peggy

6 comments:

  1. Hey you walked passed Bendels, did you go inside? Now that was gorgeous and Missy I am so mad at you!! I work right above it!!! I wish you would have called and we could have had hot chocolate or coffee. Hugs and squishes!! Grace xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. grace
    i am so bummed....i would have met you in a heartbeat....next time - and there will be a next time....
    send me your cell phone number on my email address
    enjoy tomorrow girlfriend....
    hugs and more
    peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, girlfriend... i felt like i was there with you!wonderful virtual tour! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. lynn,
    i wish you were...
    see you tomorrow
    hugs and more,
    peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cole Haan is my favorite. Love those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. shelley,
    cole haan was up there in my favorites too!!
    hugs and more
    peggy

    ReplyDelete